Discovering that a child or family member is gay (GLBTQ+) is sometimes initially seen as a crisis. Whether it is a son or a daughter you will have many questions:
- Did my child choose to be GLBT?
- Why is my child GLBT?
- What did I do wrong that caused my son/daughter to be gay?
Though you might begin to list things you feel you could have done differently, your son/daughter is not gay or transgender because of anything you did or did not do. This is a time when your son/daughter needs your support more than ever.
- How can I accept my gay child?
- How do I let my gay son/daughter know I love him/her?
There were many ideas, plans, and hopes for you and your child. As you learn more, you will develop new hopes and expectations for your future together.
- Listen to your child carefully
- Educate yourself
- Let your child know that you love him/her