Any person that does not line up with the hetero-sexist and binary gender culture must have a mental disorder.
- The person is LGBTQ+ because they are mentally ill.
- The mental illness is a negative influence.
- The LGBTQ+ person is in need of healing.
- Being LGBTQ+ implies no impairment in judgment, stability, reliability, or general social or vocational capabilities.
- Same-sex sexual and romantic attractions, feelings, and behaviors are normal and positive variations of human sexuality regardless of sexual orientation identity; and diverse gender expressions, regardless of gender identity, and diverse gender identities, beyond a binary classification, are normal and positive variations of the human experience.
Council Policy (February 2015)
American Psychological Association (APA) www.apa.org
- The LGBTQ+ community experiences more negative mental health outcomes due to rejection, prejudice and other biases.
- Personal, family, and social acceptance of sexual orientation and gender identity affects positively the mental health and personal safety of LGBT individuals.